- Carl Sandburg High School
Greetings Eagle Families and Friends,
It’s a GREAT day to be an Eagle and I am proud to share many recent examples of what that means here at Sandburg!
We are very proud of our students’ academic success! Every fall, approximately 1.5 million students from across the nation take the PSAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test to compete for National Merit Scholarships. Only a very small percentage of the highest scorers are notified that they have qualified as Commended students and Semifinalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program. An even smaller percentage continue in the competition as Finalists, individuals who represent some of the most academically talented students in our country. I am proud to share with you that four Sandburg students have been named National Merit Finalists:
As many of you know, Sandburg has been selected as a finalist in the Varsity Brands "America's Most Spirited High School" competition! Varsity Brands. A huge thank you to Assistant Principal, Greg Gardner, for running an elite campaign 14 days of voting - 14 reasons why Sandburg is America’s Most Spirited High School. We are hopeful that the top recognition is in our future and thankful to all those who took the time to vote Sandburg over the course of the last month. I am proud to share with you the 14 reasons that were highlighted on Social Media throughout the month of February:
- Service Learning is more than a graduation requirement!
- Supporting our competitive activities is what we do!
- Our music program is second to none in their passion for school spirit!
- Spirit training is provided to every freshman on their first day as a way to introduce them to the Sandburg Tradition!
- Our school dances are like no other!
- We continue to cheer on our alumni as they bring that Sandburg spirit everywhere they go!
- From assemblies and breakfasts to students of the month, recognition is part of our Sandburg culture!
- Three words... “Snow day announcements”!
- We celebrate our Athletics & Activities who have won 27 state championships & have 43 other top 4 finishes!
- Every Friday in December is free Hot Chocolate with Baldy! A great way to warm up before finals!
- Our staff lead the way with their school spirit!
- We cherish our diversity & celebrate the many cultures of our students!
- Baldy, our mascot, loves spreading school spirit everywhere he goes!
- From academics & advisory classes to athletics & activities there is something for everyone!
The winter season for athletics and competitive activities is winding down. We celebrate many accomplishments of individuals and teams, some of which are listed below:
- Senior Aristotle Vanikos earned 2nd place at the IHSA State Speech competition in impromptu speaking.
- Our Chess Team finished 24th in the state!
- Senior Pat Nolan earned a 6th place finish in the 138 pound weight class in wrestling. Junior Cody Thill placed 8th at the State Diving competition.
- Our boys Swim Team won both conference and sectional championships, and Sandburg qualified 6 swimmers and two divers for State.
Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Tuesday, March 5th between the hours of noon and 7:00 pm. While regular use of the Skyward Family Access portal provides current information related to grades, assignments, absences, and discipline, the face-to-face conferences provide families and staff the rich opportunity for more personal communication. We look forward to your participation in this important event.
And finally, I continue to share information related to graduation. The Class of 2019 will graduate on Tuesday, May 21st at 7:00 pm (if the weather cooperates!). We will continue to utilize the National Weather Service for weather related updates on the day of graduation. Should inclement weather impede our plans, we would notify families by 2:00 pm and use our rain date of Friday, May 24th. Senior families can expect a very detailed packet to be mailed in mid-March that explains several important events for seniors leading up to graduation.
We hope you will be following us on Twitter (@SandburgHS or @EaglesAthletics) for timely updates and for outcomes of other events and activities that will take place in the coming months!
Jen Tyrrell, Principal