- Carl Sandburg High School
Greetings Eagle Families and Friends,
On behalf of everyone here at Sandburg, Happy New Year to all! I hope you enjoyed the holiday season and time with family and friends. The winter break provided me with an opportunity to reflect on an ELITE 2018!
Over the course of my first six months serving as Principal of Carl Sandburg High School, many people have asked me how I like Sandburg and specifically the thing I like most about being principal. My answer is always that I love Sandburg and that it is an ELITE place. When I share what I like most about Sandburg, my answer is always the people! I have thoroughly enjoyed beginning to develop relationships with students, staff, families, and community members. I am having a blast supporting our students and staff and celebrating their passions in academics, athletics, activities, and service!
Simply stated...Carl Sandburg High School is a Special Place!
The collective work of the staff at Sandburg is amazing! Our teaching staff continues to take a student-centered and innovative approach within the classroom. I am proud to share that nine Sandburg teachers have been nominated for the Golden Apple Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award! We look forward to supporting Dave Drzonek, Brian Hillhouse, Catherine Johnson, David Kreis, Kathy Krueger, Judy McAuliffe, Jennifer Snyder, Janine Wilkins, and Theresa Zambuto as they move forward in the application process!
Our success has once again been recognized by publications like the Washington Post (“Most Challenging Schools;”) Newsweek (Distinguished School;) and Niche.com (Top 20 in Illinois.) Congratulations to you, parents and families. We recognize that your partnership and support of our efforts is critical! We also know that embedded in these recognitions are specific successes highlighted below related to the three focus areas (Learning, Interventions, and Connectedness) of our school improvement plan that are framed by a collective mindset to be Elite Daily! It is with pride that I share with you some highlights from 2018!
- 4 National Merit Semi-Finalists
- 14 National Merit Commended
- 125 Illinois State Scholars
- 56% of students are enrolled in at least one AP course
- 1045 students completed 1920 AP exams
- 376 students earned AP Scholar status for passing at least three exams with test scores of three or higher
- 20 students earned National AP Scholar distinction for passing at least eight exams with an average score of four or higher
- Continued implementation of Period 2 Advisory and Intervention time in which 82.4% of students reported that intervention time has assisted them academically
- Implementation of Cultural Competency Training
- Utilization of Khan Academy for academic intervention and SAT Suite test practice/prep
- Increase in co-curricular participation (72.66%)
- Publication of 30 in 30 which highlights 30 alumni in under 30 pages
- Induction of the second class to the Athletic Hall of Fame
- 102 Students Received the Cook County Sheriff’s Commitment to Service Award, collectively completing over 13,000 hours of service
- Opening of the Steaming Eagle Cafe through generous support from the Class of ‘82
- The Debate Team brought home its 7th IHSA State Championship (1st place Public Forum Debate)
- Literary Magazine earned a gold medal in the Medalist Critique awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
- SWSC Conference Championships: Varsity Boys Swim, Wrestling, Cheerleading, Eaglettes, Baseball, Boys Water Polo, Girls Tennis, Girls Volleyball, Boys Cross Country
- IHSA Sectional Championships: Varsity Boys Swim, Cheerleading, Baseball, Softball, Girls Tennis
- Fine Arts Honors: Eman Elnatour (Scholastic Art Competition/2 Gold Keys for 2 short stories and a Silver Key in poetry), Vinnie Scaravalle (Scholastic Art Competition/Gold Key in Photography); Aysheh Jadallah (Scholastic Art Competition/Silver Key in Photography), Regina San Andres (Scholastic Art Competition/ Silver Key in Poetry), Kelly Winston (Scholastic Art Competition/ Silver Key in Ceramics), Kaitlyn Yi (Scholastic Art Competition/Silver Key in Personal Essay/Memoir); Katie Kusper (Band), Louis Vacha (Band), Simon Han (Orchestra), Sophia Pagni (Orchestra), Thais Kolganov (Choir) (ILMEA All-State); Mac Harlin (ILMEA All-State Honors Choir); Matt Kubas (IL Theatrefest All State Production (Stage Tech)
- Top Ten State Finishes: Scholastic Bowl (4th place); Cheerleading (4th place); Baseball (4th place); Dylan Jacobs (State Champ/1600 meter); Dylan Jacobs, Connor Devlin, Peter Demogerontas, and Nico Calderon (State Champs/Boys Track 4x800); Colin Lewis (Gold Medalists/Special Olympics Powerlifting); Ayyan Chaudhry and James Hughes (State Champs/Debate); Sophia Jablonski (2nd place/Girls Wheelchair Bowling); Madison Giglio (3rd place Beam/ Gymnastics); Pat Nolan (4th place/Wrestling); Matt Rohan (3rd Place/IHSA Speech Extemporaneous Speaking); Anna Loureiro and Jayme Gross (5th place/Doubles Tennis); Eric Kenes and Victoria Granato (Semifinalists/Debate); Toma Solovey and Bella Wrobel (Quarterfinalists/Debate)
Jennifer Tyrrell, Principal