- Carl Sandburg High School
Return to Headlines
School Board seeks committee volunteers
The High School District 230 School Board invites community member applications to serve on its three committees: Education, Student Services, and Building and Finance.
Advisory committees to the School Board assist the School Board as they determine needed changes or additions either required by State law requirements or necessary due to internal evaluations of current services and processes. The Committees are designed as a communication tool to represent the district’s larger audience. An Advisory committee’s
function is not one of decision–making, but as the voice of all students’ needs as recommendations are being made to and decisions are made by the School Board.
Education Committee reviews all policies, proposals and programs related to curriculum and co-curricular program renewal development to provide information and recommendations to the School Board.
Student Services Committee reviews all policies, proposals and programs related to student support services and special services to provide information and recommendations to the School Board.
Building and Finance Committee reviews all policies and proposals related to Building/Finance Committee. This committee systematically reviews the financial condition of the district and provides information and recommendations to the School Board on matters of policy, processes, and planning for district finance. This committee oversees all building projects within the district and advises the School Board on the progress of those projects. This committee also reviews topics related to student transportation.
Board Committees shall be comprised of community members, School Board members, staff and administration. Each member serves an important role in providing insight and expertise regarding topics being considered by the full Board. In providing input to the School Board and administration, it is important that committee members do the following:
- focus on the best interests of all students without representing a narrow or personal agenda; and
- show courtesy and respect to other members –
- fully participate in meetings, sharing thoughts openly and listening to others’ point of view; and
- demonstrate high ethical and professional standards
- possess interest and experience or expertise related to the subject matter of the Committee;
- respond in a timely fashion to requests from the Committee Chair/Recording Secretary;
- prepare for the meetings by reading packets and noting points to raise; and
- attend monthly meetings on a regular basis throughout the two-year term
Committee membership participation will commence on July 1, 2019 (first meetings will be in August 2019).